Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a composite list of frequently asked questions by Cardinal users. You will find concise and direct answers for many of your basic Cardinal needs.
What is Cardinal?
- Cardinal is the Commonwealth of Virginia’s financials, human capital management, and business intelligence application. Cardinal is designed to consolidate and streamline administrative systems into one upgraded platform.
What is Okta?
- Okta is a cloud-based Identity and Access Management tool used by the Virginia Information Technologies Agency (VITA) to authenticate users. Cardinal uses Okta to grant user access to all applications.
How do I find the Cardinal Portal?
- You can access the Cardinal Portal by entering the following URL in your internet browser: my.cardinal.virginia.gov.
With the launch of Cardinal HCM, will functionality in the existing applications (FIN/BI) change?
- There may be some differences in Cardinal Financials, but a lot of the functionality remains the same. Cardinal Financials job aids and course materials will be continually updated to reflect any changes.
Are there any issues with browsers in viewing Cardinal, e.g. Safari, Chrome, IE, or Firefox?
- Cardinal recommends users utilize a current version of Chrome when accessing Cardinal.
I’m new to Cardinal. Where can I find job aids and training?
- To find training materials, job aids, videos, and more visit the Learning Overview page. You can also hover over the Learning tab on the Cardinal home page. In the drop-down menu, select Course Materials or Job Aids. From there, you will be able to filter by user type, application, and module for whichever document you are looking for.
I’ve run into an issue that I can’t resolve with job aids. Who should I contact?
- If you are unable to resolve your issue or have technical questions, please open a Cardinal Helpdesk ticket by emailing the Virginia Information Technologies Agency (VITA) at email@example.com. Please remember to use “Cardinal” in the subject line in order to be connected to a member of our Post Production Support team.
What is MFA?
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is a secure method in which a device is granted access to an application only after successfully presenting pieces of validating information.
Is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Required?
- Yes, MFA is required to access the Cardinal Portal whenever you are connected to a network outside of the Commonwealth of Virginia (COV) network. For example, if you are working remotely and/or are not connected to a VPN, you will be asked to use MFA for security reasons. See the Cardinal System Access Guide for assistance.
What happens if I clear my browser cache?
- When clearing your cache, it removes temporary internet browser history on your computer/device. Clearing your cache often helps with any Cardinal login issues you may be experiencing. There is a job aid available for learning more about clearing your cache in Google Chrome. Keep in mind, if you clear the browser cache on your computer/device, you will need to enter your multi-factor authentication information again the next time you log into the Cardinal Portal if you are not on the Commonwealth of Virginia (COV) network.
I completed the Forgot Username/Forgot Password Request, but have not received an email. What do I do?
- If you have completed the Forgot Username/Forgot Password request, but you have not received an email, verify whether the correct email address was entered and take the appropriate action from the options below:
- If the email address was entered incorrectly, or if you are unsure, return to the Cardinal Login page and repeat the steps by clicking the Forgot Username/Forgot Password link.
- If the email address was entered correctly, submit a help desk ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Cardinal” in the subject line.